University of California at Los Angeles
Doctoral Student in Information Studies, current
B.A. English. Creative Writing Highest Honors. Summa Cum Laude, 2016
Latino Leadership Institute at the Anderson School of Management, 2003
Los Angeles Valley College
A.A. English. Magna Cum Laude, 2012
Honors and Awards: Academic
• Dean’s List, UCLA 2014-2016
• Recognition of High Achievement and Outstanding Promise Scholarship, UCLA 2014
• President’s Distinguished Honor, LAVC 2012
Honors and Awards: Non-Academic
• Recognition of Participation in the AJC Latino’s Project Interchange, 2015
• California Legislature Assembly Resolution for significant contributions to local community and the state, 2012
• Grammy nomination, cast of The Mark of Zorro, 2012
• Imagen Award for Best Web Series (creator). First in category, 2010
• Reel Rasquache Award for Best Webisode (Exec.producer/writer), 2009
• National Association of Minorities In Cable: Legacy Award as a cast member of Resurrection Blvd., 2003
• State of California Resolution: distinguished accomplishments & extraordinary breakthroughs in the Entertainment Industry, 2002
• March of Dimes “Viva Los Niños” Entertainment Award, 2000
• ALMA Award, Best Ensemble Cast for Resurrection Blvd., 2000
• National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts: Special Recognition, 2000
• Interdisciplinary Research
-Advisor: Professor Christopher Kelty, ISG and Department of Information Studies, UCLA, ongoing.
• Creative Writing Honors Thesis
-Advisor: Professor Mona Simpson, English Department, UCLA, 2016
-Awarded: Departmental Highest Honors.
• Student Research Program
-Advisor: Professor Raúl Hinojosa, Department of Chicana and Chicano Studies, UCLA, 2015
-Title: “Net Neutrality: Ylse.net, a Case Study”
• Westwind Journal, UCLA, 2015
-Title: “My Misses the Writer”
-Genre: short story
• Essay as part of the series: Leaders in the Indie TV Space on the Impact and Innovation of Web TV
-Commissioned by: Dr. Aymar Jean Christian. Assistant Professor, Media, Technology and Society, Northwestern University School of
-Title: “Ylse: Green-Lit by the Neutral Net”
Speeches and Presentations: Net Neutrality
• United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary, 2014
-Hearing: Why Net Neutrality Matters: Protecting Consumers and Competition
Through Meaningful Open Internet Rules.”
-Chairman: The Honorable Senator, Patrick Leahy (D-Vt)
• Free Press Panel at the Senate Office Building, Washington DC, 2014
-Panel: Innovation, Creativity and the Future of the Internet: Why Real Net Neutrality Matters.
-Opening Remarks: Senator Al Franken (D-MN)
-Moderator: Craig Aaron, President and CEO, Free Press
-Panelist: Barbara van Schewick, Alexis Ohanian, Althea Erickson, and Ruth Livier
• Federal Communications Commission Workshop, Washington DC, 2009
-Panel: Speech, Democratic Engagement and the Open Internet.
-Moderator: Stuart Benjamin, FCC consultant and Associate Dean for research and
co-director of the Center for Innovation Policy at Duke University Law School.
Speeches and Presentations: Writing for the Web
• Digital Hollywood Conference. Marina del Rey, CA., 2012
-Panel: Writing for the Web.
• Hanson Film Institute at the University of Arizona, 2011
-Panel: Inside Track: Web Series-The New Way In?
• Emerson College. Boston, MA, 2010
-Guest speaker (via Skype): Writing for the Web.
-Invited by: Assistant Professor Jim Macak, Visual and Media Arts
• Screen Actors Guild New Media Mini-Summit at Digital Hollywood Conference. Marina Del Rey, CA., 2010
-Panel: The Actor in the New Entertainment Economy-The New Working Partnerships Actor-Writer-Director.
• University of Southern California, 2010
-Guest speaker: Writing for the Web.
-Invited by: Associate Professor with Tenure Oliver Mayer, USC School of Dramatic Arts
• Digital Hollywood Conference. Santa Monica, CA., 2010
-Panel: Going Pro-A Guide to Making Your Web Series with the Guilds.
• Loyola Marymount University. Los Angeles, CA., 2010
-Panel: Steed Symposium: Business of the Business.
• Women in Media Network, Writers Guild of America, West. Los Angeles, CA. 2010
-Guest Speaker: Writing for the Web.
• Screen Actors Guild. Los Angeles, CA., 2009
-Panel: New Media.
Speeches and Presentations: Latinos and Digital Media
• National Hispanic Media Coalition, Media Conference, Universal City, CA., 2015
-Panel: Digital Explosion: How the Internet is Revolutionizing Latino Content Creation.
• National Hispanic Media Coalition, Media Conference. Universal City, CA., 2014
-Panel: Reaching the Emerging Online Audience.
• Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, 2014
-Panel: Just Say Si: The Latino Media Explosion, Opportunities in Any Language.
• Digital Hollywood Content Summit. Marina del Rey, CA., 2013
-Panel: Crossing Language Barriers is Good Comedy Business.
• National Association of Latino Independent Producers. Universal City, CA., 2012
-Panel: How to Produce, Create and Star in Your Own Web Series.
• National Association of Latino Independent Producers. Newport Beach, CA., 2011
-Panel: Mobile Media and Online Series.
Speeches and Presentations: Latina Conferences
• Latina Youth Conference, Santa Monica City College, 2001
-Guest Speaker: Inspiring young Latinas to attend college.
• Hispanic Lifestyle Conference. Ontario, CA., 2001
-Keynote Speaker: Inspiring Latina Youths.
• Dhir, Sheetal. “Diversity in Hollywood.” The Stream, Al Jazeera America. Feb. 2014. Video.
• Shimomura, Sachiko. “The Future of TV and Internet.” NHK, Japan. Feb. 2012. Documentary video.
• Ortega, Jordi. “Internet Libre.” Univision.com. May 2011. Web.
• Rosen, Lisa. “How the Web is Won.” Written By. Oct. 2009. Cover story. Print.
• Lopez, Kristina. "Spanglish Comedy & Mispronunciation in Ylse." Tubefilter. Feb. 2009. Online.
• Laezman, Rick. "Ruth Livier: Behind the Scenes of Resurrection Boulevard." Latino Leaders. October 2001. Print.
• Jackson, Terry. “Staying Alive.” Hispanic. June 2001. Print.
• (Additional upon request)
• Inside Out: An after school program for at-risk youth.
• Imagination workshop: Program for at-risk youth and Women’s Shelters.
• Center for Employment Training, Escondido, CA.
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
• Tau Sigma, UCLA
• Academic Advancement Program, UCLA
• Writers Guild of America, West
• National Association of Latino Independent Producers
• The Actors’ Equity Association
• Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artist
• Spanish (Native)